The holidays are upon us once again, and as a small business owner, I am tasked with the job of figuring out what I can do for my small (but mighty!) staff in lieu of a party. Los Angeles can feel like the most unChristmacy (is that a word? I say, yes!) place on earth when we’re still seeing 80 degree weather in November, but there are so many Christmas events in Los Angeles—you just have to plan early.
Last year I snagged our staff tickets to see “Wicked” at the Pantages, and though it’s is not technically a Christmas show, Hollywood was all lit up with decorations and quickly got us in the spirit. Check out the below holiday events in LA that you don’t want to miss, whether for your corporate Christmas “party” or a fun date night.
11 Christmas Events in Los Angeles
- Christmas at The Grove– The18th Annual Tree Lighting celebration kicks off the Los Angeles holiday season on November 17th from 7:30p.m.-9:30p.m. Delight in the season’s first snowfall, a fireworks spectacular, and Santa’s grand arrival. This event is complimentary and open to the public.
- Rodeo Drive Holiday Lighting Celebration – On Thursday November 14, 2019 from 5–8 p.m. DJ CoryLive! will warm up the evening followed by Jazz ensemble The Cufflink Crooners, while contemporary and hip-hop dance numbers will thrill with holiday pop. Headlining this year’s extravaganza, Tony, Emmy and Golden Globe award-nominated TV actor and Broadway performer Matthew Morrison will take the stage for a special performance of holiday songs, along with a sneak peek from his upcoming 2020 album of Disney classic covers. The evening will be capped by Beverly Hills Mayor John Mirisch and fellow City Council members, who will illuminate the length of Rodeo Drive and its iconic palm trees with an abundance of sparkle before a dramatic and glittering grand finale of fireworks.
- Love Actually Live – The team behind LA’s award-winning series For The Record transforms The Wallis’ Bram Goldsmith Theater into an immersive cinema, where the modern classic written by Richard Curtis is reborn as a revolutionary stage and screen event. To tell the story, the film and live action seamlessly intertwine throughout the London setting. Iconic scenes on screen share the stage with an all-star cast of singers and a 15-piece orchestra, as they reimagine the film’s hit soundtrack including “Christmas is All Around” and “Trouble With Love.” (November 27-Dec 29th)
- The Holiday at Rooftop Cinema Club – Watch this Christmas classic on November 30th at 9:00p.m. under the stars on the rooftop of LEVEL apartment block in Downtown. Rooftop Cinema Club actually plays all holiday movies during the month of December, so if The Holiday isn’t your cup of tea, check out their whole schedule here. They also have multiple locations across the city.
Artisanal LA Pop Up Holiday Market – There are several options to choose from the Santa Monica Winterlit Market (Kicks off December 5th and goes every weekend until Dec 22nd) to the Bunker Hill Holiday Pop Up (December 13th 10:00a.m.-5:00p.m.). All events give you the opportunity to shop from local indie makers including food, jewelry, candles and more.Santa Monica Tree Lighting – Join City of Santa Monica officials on December 5th at 6:00p.m. join for a special tree lighting ceremony on Third Street Promenade and visit with Santa Claus. Shop at the Winterlit Holiday market (See #3) or grab a photo with Santa. Live Music and kids crafts. Free and open to the public. Snow is in the forecast!
- Joy to the Holidays at Greystone Mansion – Join the City of Beverly Hills’ for their open house on December 7th and 8th from 12:00p.m.-5:00p.m. at Greystone Mansion, which includes a family day of fun with cookie decorating, crafts, a visit with Santa, holiday music and more. Bring an unwrapped gift for their toy drive.
- Holiday Afternoon Tea at the Peninsula Beverly Hills – I did this last year with girlfriends right before we left to go home for Christmas and it was so much fun! The hotel is decked in gorgeous holiday decor, while a harpist plays Christmas music in the background.
- The Pershing Square Ice Skating Rink – From November 14th-January 20th, you can visit this magical winter wonderland in downtown LA. Skate under the sun and stars surrounded by the city skyline.
- The Winter Bazaar Holiday Night Market – This special 5 week event takes place on Thursday nights from November 14th-December 19th at 5:00p.m.-10:00p.m. atop of the Hollywood Hills at Yamashiro Restaurant. This Holiday craft fair & night market will feature a light festival, live music, food, seasonal cocktails, and unique gift ideas, Santa photos, gift wrapping station, and much much more for young people of all ages.
- Holiday Cocktail Workshop at Whimsy Pasadena – REVELRY’s annual holiday cocktail workshop is back no November 22nd from 7:00p.m.-9:00p.m. In this fun and interactive session, you’ll learn how to prepare, measure, and mix delicious, holiday themed, seasonal cocktails. The class will cover cocktail basics, like the proper equipment and techniques needed to make perfect sips for the holidays.
- Gilmore Girls Holiday at Warner Bros Studio: Starting December 21, fans of Gilmore Girls can explore the backlot as it transforms into Stars Hollow. Imagine lunching in Lorelai’s yard, peeking inside Luke’s Diner, and standing on Sookie’s front porch as you relive your favorite moments from the show.